Wednesday 26 March 2014

The NST : SWIMMING: Christy has big ambitions

KUALA Lumpur's Christy Teh is a star in the making.

By Ajitpal Singh


The pint-size swimmer is making heads turn in the ongoing MSSM Championships at Darul Ehsan Complex in Shah Alam.

Christy made her debut last year in the girls' 12-and-under category but managed only one bronze medal.

However, the 12-year-old is making waves in this year's meet with four gold medals so far in her bag.
The Standard Six student with SJKC Yoke Nam recorded a personal best of 1:10.83 seconds to win the 100m butterfly yesterday.

On Monday, Christy claimed three titles with personal best times in the 50m butterfly, 100m backstroke and 200m freestyle events.

Christy was introduced to swimming by her uncle Alan Tan when she turned four before joining the state team five years later.

"My main event is the backstroke but I've already won two gold in butterfly. I did not have a good debut outing last year but it gave me motivation to train harder," said Christy yesterday.

"I spent hours in the pool to improve my strokes. It has finally paid dividends. I'm swimming in 12 events here but I missed the podium in one race. I hope to win more titles."

Christy hopes she will get spotted soon for a place in the national team.


"My ultimate dream is to represent the country but I know to get there I need to work hard. I am willing to put more hours to achieve my goals," Christy added.

Sarawak's Welson Sim broke his one year old record in the boys' open 1,500m by more than 10 seconds for the gold.

He clocked 16:02.88 to finish ahead of Selangor's Yeap Zheng Yang (16:34.42) and Sarawak's Ngu Jiung Wei (16:53.77).

"I may have broken my own record but I am not happy as my aim was to go under 16 minutes. I am, however, swimming a lot faster since joining the national team a year ago," said Welson, who is competing in nine events.

The competition continues today.

Christy Teh Xing Ti of Kuala Lumpur won gold in the 100m butterfly yesterday. Pic by Goh Thean Howe


Read more: SWIMMING: Christy has big ambitions - Other - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/sports/other/swimming-christy-has-big-ambitions-1.532538#ixzz2x4ViRBHB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...