Monday 25 March 2019

The Star : Whoa, Hoe Yean!


KUALA LUMPUR: Teenager Khiew Hoe Yean (pic) underlined his huge potential by breaking an eight-year meet record on the first day of the National Schools (MSSM) swimming championships at the Tuanku Zara Aquatic Centre in Ipoh.

The 16-year-old clocked 58.53 to win the boys’ group 1 (16-18) 100m backstroke event for Kuala Lumpur.

Hoe Yean cracked the previous meet record of 59.02 held by former national swimmer Ian James Barr since 2011.

Sarawak’s Hii Puong Wei settled for silver with 1:00.08 ahead of Kuala Lumpur’s Koh Teck Chen, who finished in 1:01.24.

Hoe Yean, who has been based at the national training set-up in Bukit Jalil this year, was delighted to deliver two golds for KL.

“I didn’t expect to break Ian’s record. My focus was just to improve in every competition. It’s good to meet the expectations of my team,” said Hoe Yean.

“I’m happy to swim faster than what I did at the Sukma in the 100m backstroke. I clocked 58.86 in Sukma six months ago and I’m happy to improve on my personal best,” added Hoe Yean, who still has seven more events to go over the next four days.

Two more meet records sank in the pool as well. Penang’s Chris Chew smashed the previous meet record of 26.84 set by Sarawak’s Nee Gui Ping in 2015 by winning the boys’ 13-15 50m butterfly event in 26.46.

Sabah’s Loo Yie Bing clocked a new meet record by winning the girls’ 7-12 50m butterfly in 30.56, improving on the previous mark of 30.94 set by Selangor’s Elise Wong in 2016.


Read more at https://www.thestar.com.my/sport/swimming/2019/03/25/whoa-hoe-yean/#aRquOPscb5mpGqV2.99

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...