Wednesday 19 September 2018

The Star : Chia Tong ends Melaka’s 18-year wait for swimming gold

SWIMMER Goh Chia Tong ended an 18-year agonising wait for Melaka when she powered her way to victory in the girls’ 200m backstroke race at the Tuanku Zara Aquatic Centre in Ipoh.

The last time Melaka won a gold medal in swimming was in the 2000 Penang edition when Abdul Hafiz Saleh bagged the boys’ 100m breastroke event. And Chia Tong was not even born yet.

But last night, the Melaka camp erupted in celebration after the 14-year-old Chia Tong overtook Selangor’s Rosalind Pang in the final leg of the 200m backstroke race to win in 2:25.53 and end the state’s gold medal drought in the pool.

Rosalind won the silver with 2:25.63 while Johor swimmer Ong Yong Qi bagged the bronze in 2:28.32.

“I was expecting to win this event as I did a personal best of 2:23.00 during the Malaysian Open in Bukit Jalil in May this year,” said Chia Tong, who started swimming since eight.

“I’ve improved a lot since I joined the national team in Bukit Jalil a year ago. It’s definitely my best outing as I just got a bronze in the same event in Kuching two years ago.

“But I’m not stopping here. I hope to get more medals as I’ll compete in the 400m, 800m freestyle and the 100m backstroke next.”

Federal Territories team also had plenty to cheer about with victories from youngster Steve Khiew in the boys’ 200m backstroke and Keith Lim in the boys’ 100m freestyle.

The 15-year-old debutant Steve led all the way to win the 200m backstroke in 2:08.02 ahead of Selangor’s Terence Ng, who posted 2:09.12.

“I’ve got the gold medal but I’m not so happy with the time. I was hoping to break the Games record of 2:07.02 as I’ve previously did a 2:06.77 in the Malaysian Open this year,” said Steve.

Keith successfully retained his 100m freestyle gold, finishing first in 50.89.

Selangor and Penang also took home two golds each. Elynn Tan took her tally to three after winning the 50m butterfly and 100m freestyle races. The United States-based swimmer won the 50m backstroke event on Monday.

Selangor claimed both boys’ and girls’ 200m individual medley titles through Jordan Yip (2:06.64) and Nadia Adrianna Redza (2:26.44) respectively.


Read more at https://www.thestar.com.my/sport/swimming/2018/09/19/a-success-to-savour-chia-tong-ends-melakas-18year-wait-for-swimming-gold/#Diy27sIdBx9jYMAD.99

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...