Tuesday 17 March 2015

The Star : Hanis and Ker Ying hope to dive into national team

SHAH ALAM: Hanis Nazirul and Ong Ker Ying launched their bid to break into the national team with dominating displays for Kuala Lumpur in the MSSM (national schools) diving championships at the Shah Alam Aquatic Centre.

Hanis continued to dominate with a successful defence of the boys’ 1m springboard in the Under-15 category.

Hanis, who won the Under-12 title in 2012 and 2013 in the event, came out tops with 232.25 points ahead of Selangor’s Farez Izzudin Suhaimi (227.15) and Gabriel Gilbert Daim of Sabah (218.90).

Hanis, who idolises former national diver Bryan Nickson Lomas, took up the sport after a visit to a diving talent identification camp when he was just six years old.

“I am hoping to get a call-up to the national squad. I started to develop a love for water through swimming but I think I will have a future in diving.

“I want to improve further and be as good as Bryan one day,” said Hanis.

Kuala Lumpur enjoyed their second golden moment with Ker Ying winning the girls’ 1m springboard title with 177.50 points.    

Nur Ain Nadzmi of Sabah got the silver with 159.00 while Kimberly Bong took bronze for Sarawak with 153.55.

“It’s my first win in an MSSM meet. I am happy with my performance and I hope I can join the national team in the near future,” said Ker Ying, who picked up diving when she was 10 and whose cousin is the current national diver Adeline Chin.

In swimming, Ng Yi Hao provided the only record-breaking effort for the day when he won the boys’ Under 16-18 100m breaststroke race in 1:06.04, smashing the previous record of 1:06.70 set by Tang Chong Heng of Sarawak last year.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...